Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week 15: Writing Feedback

I would like to start by saying that I did more writing for this class than I have for any other class in my college career, and it has done a lot to strengthen my writing. What I liked best was all of the feedback from everybody, especially Laura. It was really cool to hear everybody's ideas about how to improve my stories, and every one was always so polite. I can honestly say that this class has done a lot to improve my grammar and creative writing skills, much more that I ever thought that it would.
For my project, I chose the storybook option and I don't have any regrets for doing so. My experience with the storybook played the largest part in my enjoyment of this class, and I think that it is something that all students should at least try. In my opinion, the storybook option is more organized and really encourages us to choose our favorite topic and learn as much as we want about it. While there is nothing preventing students that choose the portfolio option from writing in an equally organized manner, I tended to notice that the portfolios contained a more random assortment of stories. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with writing unrelated stories, but I really enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment as I was making the final revisions to my storybook and saw how well it came together. Another thing that I appreciated about the storybooks was the titles. I was always much more likely to choose a storybook as my free choice each week because I knew what I was getting myself into.
In regard to the commenting system, I don't really have any suggestions. I think that it's great that we're paired with different people each week but also have a free choice to allow us to follow our favorite stories without neglecting to respond to the other projects. The comments were always very helpful in catching grammar/spelling mistakes, as well as helping to make sure that the format was consistent.
The only advice that I have for future students is to be on the lookout for a topic that really interests you at the start of the semester. With a good topic, the storybook can be a lot of fun and reveal a lot of information about the stories that you might not otherwise come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment