Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Week 3: Reading Diary A

Well, first of all, I just realized that the copy of The Ramayana that I am reading has fewer pages than the copy that was used to create our reading assignments. So, for these last two reading diaries, I am going to read 30 of the remaining 60 pages for each. Also, I have decided to try breaking my thoughts up by chapter, especially since my readings do not perfectly align with the rest of the class.

Vali
  • "This is one of the most controversial chapters of the book." What a suspenseful way to start the chapter! I wonder who/what Rama is going to kill?
  • In this chapter, we are also introduced to the forest kingdom, Kiskinda, which is inhabited by many great and intelligent animals.
Sugreeva's Story
  • Vali is obviously very proud of his strength and prone to act in haste.
  • How can Vali not understand his brother's installment as king after being absent for over 2 years?!
  • I feel really bad for Sugreeva. Vali's actions were very irrational and oppressive.
Dundubi's Story
  • Rama receives another sign of Sita! I was not very confident in their quest while they were relying solely on hearsay from people that they did not know.
  • "We should not become too analytical about a friend, nor look too deeply into original causes; but accept only what appears good to us in the first instance, and act on it." What?! After all the wisdom that Rama has shown, how could he say something so foolish?
  • Despite Vali's unjust actions towards his brother, his death was still very sad. I can see why this chapter is considered to be so controversial. Rama should not have so blindly intervened in the affairs of the two brothers. Although Sugreeva's story was tragic, Rama was not at all concerned with Vali's side. Unfortunately, Rama had already given his word to Sugreeva and, as we've seen, was bound to act on his word.
When the Rains Cease
  • There was an interesting side note about some possible incentives for Kooni's actions. This was the first instance in which we've been provided any such information.
  • It amazes me how strongly Rama insists on fulfilling every aspect of his father's promise. Even with horrible storms on the way, Rama refuses to find shelter in the city, as it would violate the conditions of his exile.
  • I was happy to find that, despite his forgetfulness, Sugreeva was still eager to help Rama find Sita.
  • We were also introduced to Jatayu's brother, Sampathi. This was pretty cool because I had already learned about Sampathi during my research for storybook topics.
  • Sampathi knows where to find Sita!

No comments:

Post a Comment