Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Week 4 Storytelling: The Development of Manthara's Plan



As the perpetually angry Manthara entered the palace gates, she immediately took notice to the lively, festive atmosphere. All around her, people were smiling, laughing, and partaking of the king’s favorite wines. “Look at all of these ridiculous people, what right have they to be so happy?” she grumbled to herself. When Manthara arrived at Queen Kaikeyi’s room, she noticed three servant girls wearing extravagant jewelry. “Thieves!” she declared as she struck the nearest girl with her cane. “How dare you steal from guests in the king’s palace!” As Manthara reared back to assault another servant, Kaikeyi rushed to intercept the blow. “Subdue this rage!” Kaikeyi insisted. “These jewels have been given as gifts in celebration of Rama’s coronation.” “This can’t be!” she thought to herself, “How could that little demon that once shot toy arrows at my hindquarters be elevated to a position of authority in this great kingdom? This will surely bring an end to our people.” Manthara silently took a seat, with a look of utter dismay painted on her face as she pondered solutions to this catastrophe.
“How can these fools express so much joy when presented with such terrible news? If nobody else will stop this madness, then I must take these matters into my own hands. Unfortunately, it is too late to slay this monster. I am old and weak, while he is a trained warrior protected by numerous guards. Oh, how I should have responded when Rama first wronged me! I cannot simply approach King Dasaratha and beg him to reconsider. His unwavering love for his son will surely cloud his judgment, and I can’t waste time trying to convince an old man who cares more about his son than the people of his kingdom. That’s it! I may not be able to persuade Dasaratha, but my queen has been granted two wishes. If I could just convince her of Rama’s evil ways, then he may be banished and the more respectful Bharata can take his place on the throne.”
 
(Manthara Persuading Kaikeyi: LiveIndia)
 
“My dearest queen, how can you celebrate when such a threat has been imposed on your life?” “To what are you referring?” asked Kaikeyi in confusion. “You don’t understand the events that are to unfold. Rama’s spirit is but a serpent, hidden within a garden. His body is beautiful and his ways seem noble, but once he is installed as king of this earth there will be no power above him, no reason to hide his oppressive and malicious ways.” “What reason have I to believe these accusations? Rama has never wronged me. His ways are noble and his actions are just. Your words are treason!” Kaikeyi responded, baffled by such bold statements against a man that she regarded as a son. “I see now that my words have fallen on a closed mind. If this is how you truly feel then I must go, but please consider this: All your life, you’ve been in a position of authority over Rama, yet you act as though you understand how he treats those who are subordinate to him. By the time that you realize his true nature, I fear that it will be too late.” These words weighed heavily on Kaikeyi’s mind, as she began to fear for what might happen to Bharata and herself. Just as Manthara opened the door to leave her chambers, Queen Kaikeyi shouted, “What would you have me do?” and Manthara’s plan was set into action.


Author's Note: Manthara's (or Kooni's) actions were one of the most sudden and underdeveloped parts of both versions of The Ramayana that we've read. I wrote this story to elaborate on Manthara's thoughts upon learning about Rama's upcoming coronation. I chose not to provide a more logical incentive for her actions because I think that she is a highly irrational character. I also tried to provide better dialogue between Kaikeyi and Manthara to expose how she might have instilled fear into Kaikeyi to motivate her to go along with such an absurd plan.

Bibliography: Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way

5 comments:

  1. Austin, I really enjoyed your story! I kept reading eager to find out what happened next! I liked how you elaborated on Manthara's thoughts! It really gave me a better understanding of the story in general! I like to do my stories similar to this as well. Great job and I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Austin.
    Good job with this retelling of Manthara (AKA Kooni's) treachery. I agree with you that the whole situation involving Kaikeyi and Manthara is one of the least developed events of the Ramayana, yet it's one of the most significant. Manthara seemingly has nothing to gain or lose from her interjection into the affairs of nobility. She prods Kaikeyi under the guise of concerned subordinate, but I've always wondered if her true motives were more sinister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Austin,
    I thought that this story was really good! I definitely felt that this part of the story was underdeveloped, and I just love the way you developed it! It was interesting to see how you gave Manthara a motive and so much passion behind doing what she did! Although we obviously thought Rama was good for the kingdom, she really thought that he would bring the kingdom's downfall! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I thought your story was great. I know on your introduction you said you were much of a creative writer, but I still wish you had transformed this story more, you know? Theres just a lot of creative options with this class and I really hope you get to explore them! Otherwise, it was a great story and I wish I could have read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story was really interesting and I got to say you can write really well. It was a very smooth and flawless read, and it also got me hooked to read more. You did an excellent job giving a better story of how Manthara convinced Kaikeyi to follow her plans. I really wonder what your version of the plan and the follow through of it would be.

    ReplyDelete